UK Publishing Trade Mission to Mexico
Sunday, 26 November 2023
Trade Mission to Guadalajara and Mexico City
The Department for Business and Trade (DBT) in partnership with the Publishers Association (PA) is organising a trade mission to Guadalajara and Mexico City. Publishers joining this trip will learn about this dynamic and diverse market that covers a wide range including trade (adult and children’s) academic, school; and alongside the main Spanish-language market lies a significant English-language sector, including ELT. Recently published PA figures show that in 2022 UK export sales to Mexico grew by 80% to £24.20m following a downturn during the pandemic.
This trade mission is open to members and non-members of the PA and provides an opportunity for participants to make as many contacts as possible. The trip includes group visits, one-to-one matchmaking events and networking opportunities. There will also be time for participants to organise private meetings. The trip is aimed at people who are new to the market and DBT will provide support for up to 10 eligible Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs).
- Each qualifying SME will receive a Rights Centre package (table; locker; access to the internet, a pass and 3 nights hotel accommodation) and the cost will be covered by DBT.
- Participants will receive a discounted hotel rate in Mexico City (approx US$163 pppn); this cost to be borne by the participant.
- Ground transport will be provided for group visits and this cost will be covered by DBT.
- Only one person per company can apply.
- Applicants must not have attended or exhibited at the Guadalajara International Book Fair in the last five years (2018 – 2022).
- In addition to the SMEs being supported by DBT, participants who do not qualify for support are welcome to join the trip at full cost.
Department for Business & Trade’s criteria
An SME is any business with fewer than 250 employees.
Eligible businesses must be either:
- selling products or services which substantially originate from the UK.
- adding significant value to a product or service of non-UK origin, and there are associated economic benefits to the UK.
DBT will regard an SME as ineligible if:
- There is evidence it is planning to close down operations or transfer its assets overseas or offshore jobs.
- The company or individual has a business record or business practices or products which is/are likely to cause offence in the overseas market and/or embarrass the UK Government (for example, on corporate social responsibility grounds).
- It is offering a product which is illegal to produce or sell in the UK or in the target market; or
- If sold abroad the product would breach export controls.
A detailed itinerary will be available in the autumn, in the meantime the outline programme is as follows:
Sunday 26th November: Arrive in Guadalajara
Monday 27th – Wednesday 29th November: 3 days at the Guadalajara International Book Fair (Fil)
Evening of Wednesday 29th November: Depart Guadalajara for Mexico City
Thursday 30th November – Saturday 2nd December: 2 1/2 days in Mexico City
Saturday 2nd December: Evening flight departs Mexico City for London
To offset some of the PA’s costs in organising this event, they will charge a small administration fee of £125.00 + VAT to PA members and £250.00 + VAT to non-PA members.
Anyone interested in joining this trip, should email email@example.com with their NAME, JOB TITLE, COMPANY NAME and THE REASON YOU WOULD LIKE TO JOIN by FRIDAY 11th AUGUST 2023.
This event is for:
- UK businesses already exporting or looking to start exporting