Discover how to access co-investment funding from the Department for International Trade for SMEs who want to grow into new overseas markets
What is the Internationalisation Fund?
Launched in December 2020, the Internationalisation Fund provides match-funded grants between £1,000 and £9,000 to use for future business activities (subject to eligibility and availability) aimed at helping SMEs grow in new international markets.
To secure a grant, you will need to fund a proportion of your costs yourself. This varies according to where your business is based.
SMEs based in England can now apply for the next round of funds which can be used to support eligible expenditure areas.
Please note grants offered under the Internationalisation Fund are available on a limited basis and the actual availability of funds in the different English Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) areas can vary based on demand and the number of applications already approved. Updated information about funding availability in your LEP area are included in the 'Who is this event for' section below.
What can the funding be used for?
The funding can be used for third party advice/services to help your business prepare for export, including:
- PR, Social media and SEO
- Market research
- Intellectual property (IP) rights
- Translation and cultural advice
- Routes to market
- Overseas business environment
- Due diligence
This virtual event will offer full details about the co-fund and eligible costs - places are in high demand.SME participation in Trade Fairs, Missions and market development visits may also be supported.
Why should you attend this virtual event?
At this free virtual event, our expert speakers will provide you with:
- An overview of the Internationalisation Fund and the eligibility criteria
- What you can use the fund for to grow your business overseas
- What you need to prepare for your funding application
- How to submit your application and key deadlines
- Examples of what the Internationalisation Fund can be used for
Plus, for businesses that meet both the eligibility and suitability criteria, there will be an opportunity to meet with an International Trade Adviser after attending the event. If you are considered suitable, an ITA will help you prepare your Export Action Plan (EAP), a mandatory prerequisite to apply, and complete your Internationalisation Fund application.
Who is this virtual event for?
This virtual event is for ambitious SMEs based in the South East of England only who want to grow their sales in international markets.
Please note that due to the high demand, Internationalisation Fund funding is no longer available in London or the Oxfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) area including the entire county of Oxfordshire.
To attend this subsidised event, your business should meet the following eligibility and suitability criteria:
To be eligible, businesses must:
- Be registered in the UK and based in England
- Be a Small or Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) with up to 250 employees, an annual turnover of less than €50 million and annual balance sheet not exceeding €43 million
- No more than 25% of the business is owned by an enterprise which is not a SME
- Have not received more than €200,000 in public funds over the last three fiscal years
- Have £500k+ in sales/turnover (desirable, not mandatory)
- Have international high growth potential with a product or service suitable for export into a new market
- Have an interest in using the funding for eligible export growth activities
To be suitable, businesses should:
- Have £500k+ in sales/turnover (desirable)
- Have international high growth potential
- Have a product or service suitable for export into a new market
- Have an interest in undertaking activities co-funded by the Internationalisation Fund and claim back funds
How will the event work?
This virtual event will take place on Wedndesday 2nd November 2022 at 10.00am - 11:00am (BST).
For businesses considered eligible and suitable, your attendance at the event will be followed by the opportunity to book a free 1-2-1 meeting with one of our International Trade Advisers who will determine how to proceed and if appropriate, support a funding application.
They will be able to answer your specific questions, guide you through the application process and help you build and agree an Export Action Plan, which is a prerequisite to apply for the fund.
To register for this free event, simply click the Apply Here button on the bottom of this page and complete the event online application form.
- Places at this event are limited and likely to be in high demand - they will be offered to the businesses that best meet the eligibility and suitability criteria listed above.
- Only event attendees, who are considered eligible and suitable will be offered the exclusive opportunity to book a free 1-2-1 meeting with an International Trade Adviser after the event.
- Attending this event and a 1-2-1 meeting does not guarantee any application for Internationalisation Funding will be successful. The event will help you determine whether you meet the requirements of the fund and if appropriate how to design a suitable Export Action Plan and application.
Have a question about the virtual event? Email our team at email@example.com
It was a fantastic presentation, super informative and I came away feeling more confident about our plans to export goods overseas."
- Webinar Attendee | The Internationalisation Fund: Co-Investment Funding for SMEs, November 2021